Letīs start with a concise excerpt from the history of our pretty small town.
In prehistoric times , about 600 years before Christ, settled already humans in this area. Since Rhine bank was swampland our ancestors on the hights lived. On the "Hummelsberg " they established a ring barrier plant.
From the Roman time no certifications received, but south of Linz began the "Limes", the Roman frontiere wall.
In the Middle Age, approximately in the 7 th century there were found settlements.
874 Linz was named in its first time document. About the year 1200 the church "St. Martinīs" was built. 1320 the fortification
wall was begun. 1365 the castle and 1543 the town hall followed. The castle and the town hall are extand and in use. The greater part of the fortification was demolished in 1861. For the citizens used its stones to build new houses.
During the Thirty Years War swedish soldiers occupied the town. They decapitated the Mayor Castenholz.
Starting from 1858 the first steam ships put on the Linz banks. By the connection to the railway network in 1870 and the produktion of the viaduct the town became adapted traffic- technically into its environment.
Since 1920 exists the partnership with the twin town Linz/ Austria, followed by others.
1965 we twinned with Marietta/Georgia , USA and 1987 with Pornic, France.
1991 began the treaty of friendship with Linz/ Saxonia.